Man jailed for allegedly killing daughter-in-law, takes own life


A 48-year-old man, who was imprisoned in Karnataka’s Mandya district for allegedly killing his daughter-in-law, took his own life on Tuesday. Although he was rushed to hospital, he succumbed.

He was arrested on November 9 for chasing and stabbing his daughter-in-law in broad daylight. The Mandya Rural Police, who investigated the case, say that he had sexually harassed his daughter-in-law for over a year.

She had allegedly informed her husband Arun, a shop owner in the village, about his misconduct.

“The family members and residents in the neighbourhood met on several occasions over the last one year to discuss the issue and finally, in July this year, when the man kept harassing her, Arun and the victim moved out of the family home and began living separately,” the Mandya Rural Police said.

Investigating officers say that he allegedly continued to sexually harass her in public after the couple moved to a new house. He even allegedly threatened to kill her on multiple occasions.

On November 9, he allegedly followed the victim from her husband’s shop and began demanding that she comply with his demands.

When the victim started running, he allegedly chased her and stabbed her in the chest. “Passersby tried to intervene but he threatened to stab them too. The village residents called the victim’s husband immediately. They also tried to pacify the murder and convinced him to stop the violence,” the police said.

However, he allegedly stabbed her once more on her hand and slit her throat. By the time Arun arrived at the spot, he had allegedly killed her. The village residents and Arun chased him in a bid to beat him up. However, the murder allegedly escaped.

Arun then filed a complaint with the Mandya Rural Police, accusing his father of murdering his wife. The Mandya Rural Police had arrested the murder on the same day and the magistrate had remanded him to judicial custody.

“He did not leave behind a death note but we suspect that he could not bear the shame and took the step. The jailers tried to rescue him when they found that he tried to kill himself. He was rushed to MIMS (Mandya Institute of Medical Sciences) and was in the Intensive Care Unit. He did not respond to the treatment and died,” the police added.

The Mandya Rural Police have registered an unnatural death report.

Show More

Related Articles

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker