By Dr. Kala Vimal, Consultant Dermatologist & Cosmetologist
During monsoon season one must take care of one’s hair to prevent hair fall and frizziness.
Monsoon is known to cause hair damage due to excessive humidity in the atmosphere.
Hair care tips in monsoon are-
1) Make sure to dry your hair after a rain drizzle as rain water is dirty and acidic which is not good for your hair
So avoid wetting your hair in the rain as it will damage your hair.
2) Dry your hair using a microfiber towel to reduce friction between your hair to reduce hair fall.
In monsoon there is increased humidity in the atmosphere causing the hair to be brittle, dry and damaged. Rain holds acids within it and it can damage the hair. During monsoon air contains too much moisture so one should keep one’s hair dry after shampooing.
3) Shampooing— Twice a week you should shampoo your hair to keep your sweaty and sticky scalp healthy. This is done to wash away the rain water which is full of pollutants.
Use a mild cleansing shampoo to remove any residues on one’s own scalp left behind by rain water.
Use a good shampoo to nourish your hair to prevent bacterial and fungal infections
Always shampoo your hair from root to tip.
4) Oil massage—During monsoon a good oil massage1or 2 a week is recommended. This improves moisture in your hair which nourishes dry strands.
5) One can wear water proof cap to protect hair in the rains.
6) Avoid too much conditioner and apply it only to ends and length s of your hair to nourish, strengthen and prevent hair fall.
7) Use a wide tooth comb to avoid detangling your hair.
8) Diet—One must eat foods rich in proteins and omega 3 fatty acids. Have lot of fruits and vegetables.
Avoid too much caffeine as it dehydrates the hair and can cause hair fall. Drink 8 to 12 glasses of water.
9) Short haircut for easy maintenance
In monsoon the main cause of hair fall is due to high humidity. In this weather hair absorbs air borne hydrogen forming bonds causing hair to swell and become frizzy. So we should wash hair after getting wet in the rains