Bengaluru: The police on Thursday arrested four out of the six accused in a molestation case that took place at Kammanahalli in Banaswadi police limits. The police have launched a manhunt to nab the remaining two accused in this case.
Speaking with media persons here, Praveen Sood, Commissioner of Police, said the special team formed under the guidance of Hemanth Nimbalkar, Additional Commissioner of Police, Bangaluru west division, had succeeded in nabbing the four accused in this case. “The accused are: Ayyappa alias Nitheeshkumar (19), Leno alias Lenin Patrick (20), Sudesh alias Sudhi (20) and Somasekhar alias Chinni (24). The main accused in this case is Ayyappa, who has been working as a delivery boy. It is he who groped and molested the victim while others assisted him,’’ the Commissioner of Police said.
He said that victim was returning from the party on the eve of New Year when the unfortunate incident took place. “It was found, during the interrogation, that accused were following the victim for a few days. Sudesh and Somasekhar were working as drivers, Leno was working as a helper. The police have information about the other accused person James and his accomplice. The police will nab them soon,’’ the Commissioner of Police said.
He said the police have seized a motorcycle from the accused and yet to seize one more motorcycle. The police have registered a case under Sections 341, 354(A), (B), and 34 of Indian Penal Code at Banaswadi police station.
Commissioner of Police Praveen Sood has appreciated Prashanth Francis for providing CCTV footage of the molestation incident. “The police would not have registered a case and nabbed the culprits if Prashanth Francis had not come forward with the video footage. I want to recognize his service. I appreciate his concern towards society. Prashanth Francis has informed Banaswadi Inspector of Police T Srinivas about the video footage. After watching the video footage, the police have registered a FIR within 30 minutes. We did not waste time in attempting to contact the victim after watching the video footage. Actually there was no need for us to contact the victim since the video footage was convincing us to register a case and investigate it. I consider the case as a heinous crime,’’ the Commissioner of Police said.
On Brigade Road incident
The Commissioner of Police had said that no one has approached the police to report about the alleged molestation incidents taken place on Brigade Road during the New Year celebrations. “We have taken media report seriously and registered a suo moto case and are investigating. There was no report on January 1 in any newspaper about the alleged incident. However, a newspaper had published a blurred photo of the alleged victim of molestation on Brigade Road. We have appealed the particular newspaper to provide information about the victim who allegedly complained to them about the molestation. We have also registered one more case at Cubbon Park police station based on a media report. One woman had issued a statement on social media and to a TV channel narrating the molestation incident. The police also registered two more cases – one at Ashoknagar police station and one at Indiranagar police station. The total molestation cases registered are four so far. We are contemplating to issue notices to the newspaper and TV channel to provide details about the complainants. The idea is to enable police to meet the victims and ensure justice,’’ he said.